Last Updated: December 14, 2022
SiteOwl LLC (“SiteOwl,” “we,” “our” or “us”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through its compliance with this privacy notice. This privacy notice explains our policies and procedures regarding the collection, use, disclosure, and security of certain information that we receive, in particular “personal information” that can identify you (“User”, “you” or “your”). It is our sincere hope that by explaining our practices for handling information, we will develop a trusting and long-lasting relationship with you.
SiteOwl provides a SaaS-based platform and various mobile apps (as modified, collectively, the “Mobile Apps”) and together with the SaaS-based platform, as modified, collectively, the “SiteOwl Platform”) for building and maintaining commercial security, audio and fire systems (as modified, the “Security Systems Services”) for its end-user customers and service provider customers (“Customer”, “you” or “your”) and Customer’s employees (“Employee”, “you” or “your”) and Customer’s customers, partners, service providers and other users that have been invited by Customer to access and use the Security Systems Services (collectively, “Other Users”).
Please note that by visiting or using https://getsiteowl.com or https://site-owl.com (collectively, the “Sites”), the SiteOwl Platform, the Security Systems Services and the various other related content, services, features, functions, software, applications and websites (together with the SiteOwl Platform, the Security Systems Services and the Sites, collectively the “SiteOwl Services”), you are accepting the practices described in this privacy notice. This privacy notice is incorporated by reference into any terms of service or other agreements between you and SiteOwl that govern your use of the Security Systems Services and the other SiteOwl Services (collectively, the “Terms”).
This notice applies to information we collect when you:
- Access or use the Sites or the SiteOwl Platform.
- Sign-up for a demonstration of the Security Systems Services.
- Register to become a Customer.
- Register and create an account as an Employee or Other User.
- Access or use any of the Security Systems Services or the other SiteOwl Services.
- Upload content through the Security Systems Services.
- Send an e-mail, text and other electronic messages through any of the SiteOwl Services to SiteOwl.
- Through services provided to us or to you by third-party companies, agents or contractors.
This notice does not apply to information collected by third parties not controlled by SiteOwl, including through any link that may be accessible from or through the SiteOwl Services.
Please read this privacy notice carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, your only choice is not to become a Customer, or access or use the Security Systems Services or any of the other SiteOwl Services. By becoming a Customer, or accessing or using any of the Security Systems Services or the other SiteOwl Services, you agree to the terms and conditions of this privacy notice. This notice may change from time to time as described in Changes to Our Privacy Notice below.
Minors under the Age of 18
None of the Security Systems Services or any of the other SiteOwl Services are intended directly for minors under 18 years of age (or under the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence). No one under age 18 (or the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence) may provide any information on or through the Security Systems Services or any of the other SiteOwl Services. We do not knowingly collect personal
information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on or through any of the SiteOwl Services or any of its features or register on the Sites, use any of the interactive or public comment features of any of the SiteOwl Services or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or any screen name, username you may
use or any pictures of you. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13 without the consent from a parent or legal guardian, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information We Collect and How We Collect It
- For Customers, name and email address and at their option, cell and work phone numbers;
- For Employees and Other Users, name and email address and at their option, cell and work phone numbers;
- When you sign-up for a demonstration of the Security Systems Services, name, email address, phone number, company name and job title;
- Information that you voluntarily provide if you register, create accounts or fill in forms or applications on or through any of the SiteOwl Services;
- Details of activities that you carry out through the Security Systems Services and any of the other SiteOwl Services.
- Analytics information when you access or use any of the SiteOwl Services; and
- Information that is about you but individually does not identify you, such as the date and time of your website visit.
We may also collect information from and about you when you:
- Report a problem or concern with any of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services;
- Contact us (records and copies of your correspondence, including email address, or recordings of support calls for staff training and quality assurance purposes); and/or
- Carry out transactions you carry out through any of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through or use any of the SiteOwl Services.
- From third parties, such as our business partners and other third parties that provide us or you with certain services.
Some of the information that we collect automatically may be statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties or you provide to us. This information helps us to improve the Security Systems Services and the other SiteOwl Services, and to deliver a better and more personalized service,
including 3 enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and better understand usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, enabling us to customize the Sites according to your individual settings.
- Recognize you when you return to the Sites.
Certain situations may also involve you calling us or our calling you. Please be aware that we may monitor, and in some cases, record such calls for staff training or quality assurance purposes.
You may now or in the future provide floor plans, types and locations of devices, photos of locations and other content posted (hereinafter, “posted”) on or through the Security Systems Services (collectively, “User Content”). You will have control over the categories of users who will be able to access your User Content (e.g., specific employees or contractors, etc.). Your User Content is posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other Users of the Security Systems Services, with whom your User Content is shared. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Content will not be viewed, downloaded or shared by unauthorized persons.
Data MinimizationWe take every reasonable step to limit the volume of your personal information that we process to what is reasonably necessary.
Consequences of not providing Personal InformationIf you do not provide certain personal information identified in this notice, we may not be able to provide you access to or use of certain of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services or the support that we otherwise could if you do provide this personal information.
How We Use Your InformationWe will only use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information, as described in this privacy notice to:
- Provide the Security Systems Services and the other SiteOwl Services;
- Enable you to log into your account;
- Communicate with Customers, Employees and Other Users;
- Schedule and provide demonstrations of the Security Systems Services and other SiteOwl Services;
- Provide technical and other support to you;
- Provide you with notices about any of the SiteOwl Services, including any changes to the Security Systems Services or the other SiteOwl Services;
- Verify your identity and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity;
- To send you promotional communications, such as providing you with information about services, features, surveys, newsletters, offers and events; and providing other news or information aboutus, our customers and our select partners.
- To enable marketing, remarketing and targeted advertising and similar services from us or Service Providers, including direct and indirect marketing and on-line behavioral advertising regarding our own and third party products and services that we believe may be of interest to you, including advertisement on third-party websites.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- Enhance the safety and security of all of the SiteOwl Services;
- Comply with a legal or regulatory obligation;
- Carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection;
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information;or
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Google Analytics collects information such as how often users visit the Sites, what pages they visit when they do so, and what other sites they used prior to coming to a Site. We use the information we get from Google Analytics to improve the Security Systems Services and the other SiteOwl Services and their related features, functionality and performance. Google Analytics collects only the IP address assigned to
You can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Preferences page, and if you want to, you can opt out of interest-based advertising entirely by cookie settings or permanently using a browser plugin.
We do not combine information collected through the use of Google Analytics with your personal information.
We may combine information collected through the use of Mixpanel with your personal information.
If you do not want to consent to such data collection, you need to disable cookies or opt out of Mixpanel collecting and storing such data at any time by following the instructions here: https://mixpanel.com/optout/.
Do Not Track PolicyWe do not honor any web browser “Do Not Track” signals or other mechanisms that allow you to signal to operators of websites and web applications and services (including behavioral advertising services) that you do not wish such operators to track certain of your online activities over time and across different websites. At present, no universally accepted standards exist on how companies should respond to do-not- track signals. In the event a final universally accepted standard is established, we will assess and provide an appropriate response to these signals.
Third-party Responsibilities and Services
SiteOwl may use or partner with third-party companies, agents or contractors for various purposes in connection with our business and operations (e.g., storage of data and other information, CRM, ticketing support issues, the marketing and growth of our business and the performance of services on our behalf, such as gathering and analyzing information and the provision of services to you) (collectively, “Service
Providers”). SiteOwl may share your information with these Service Providers, or they may otherwise have access to your information in the course of performing their responsibilities and providing services.
These Services Providers may have adopted their own privacy policies, which are not subject to control by SiteOwl. You should always review the policies of these Service Providers to make sure that you are comfortable with the ways in which they collect, use, maintain, protect and disclose your information. We do not list our current Service Providers because they change from time to time. If you would like the names of any of Service Providers, please email us at email@example.com.
It’s important to guard your privacy when you are online. If SiteOwl Services contain links to other websites, this privacy notice does not govern those websites. Whether we have posted those links or other organizations, or individuals have, you should read their privacy notices and make an informed decision about whether you want to use those websites or services.
We do not have any control over that or how they collect, use, maintain, protect and disclose your information. Please be aware that cookies placed by third parties may continue to track your activities online even after you are no longer using any of the SiteOwl Services, and those third parties may not honor “Do Not Track” requests you have set using your web browser.
Storage and Transfer of Your Information
We may store information that we collect (personal or otherwise) ourselves or in databases and servers owned and maintained by us, our affiliates, agents or Service Providers. If you access or use any of the SiteOwl Services outside of the United States, information that we collect about you may be transferred to servers inside the United States and maintained in accordance with this notice. By allowing SiteOwl to
collect information about you, you consent to such transfer and processing of such information without restriction. We may also store some information locally on your computer or other devices. For example, we may store information as local cache so that you can open the Sites and view content faster.
Although Users from all over the world may access certain of the SiteOwl Services, keep in mind that no matter where you live or where you happen to use our services, you consent to us processing and transferring information in and to the United States and other countries whose data-protection and privacy laws may offer fewer protections than those in your home country.
Disclosure of Your Information
We have no current intent to sell your personal data without your consent to do so. If that ever changes, we will notify you as described in Changes to Our Privacy Notice below.
We may disclose personal information that we collect, or you provide as described in this privacy notice:
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- To Service Providers, contractors and other third parties to support and deliver the Security Systems Services and SiteOwl Services but only to the extent necessary for them to provide this support and delivery.
- To a potential or actual buyer, assignee or other successor (including its related advisors and agents) in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of SiteOwl’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by SiteOwl
about Users of any of the SiteOwl Services is among the assets that may be or are actually
- To our affiliates and business partners.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To enforce or apply the Terms and other agreements, including for billing and collection purposes.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of SiteOwl, our Users or others.
Anonymized or Aggregated Information.SiteOwl may use, share, disclose and sell information that is anonymized or in an aggregated form (i.e., in a form that does not identify you) without restriction so long as it does not violate any of the Terms, this privacy notice or any applicable law.
Choices About the Use of Your Personal Information to Market to YouWe strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your personal information:
- If you do not wish SiteOwl Services to use your e-mail address/contact information to market or otherwise promote our own or third parties’ products or services to you, you can opt-out through the unsubscribe mechanism at the bottom of marketing emails. This opt out does not apply to information SiteOwl provides about any of the SiteOwl Services, for example product updates and transactions.
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. You may be able to opt out of receiving personalized advertisements from companies who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative or who subscribe to the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising. For more information about this practice and to understand your options, please visit: http://www.aboutads.info and http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. You may also use TRUSTe’s Preference Manager at http://preferences-mgr.truste.com.
Accessing and Correcting Your Personal information
You may change or correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us through your profile (if you have one) or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may need to verify your identity to make any changes.
If you delete your User Content from any of the Security Systems Services (including any User Content stored in the cloud), copies of your User Content may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied or stored by other Users of the Security Systems Services.
Terminating an Account
Employees and Other Users may not terminate their accounts.
A Customer may delink any Employee or Other User from accessing and using Customer’s information and other data.
Your California Privacy RightsCalifornia Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits Users of SiteOwl Services that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
How Long We Store Your Personal Information
SiteOwl retains personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purpose or as permitted or required by law, which may extend beyond the termination of our relationship with you.
We may retain certain information as necessary to prevent fraud or future abuse, or for legitimate business purposes, such as analysis of aggregated, non-personally identifiable data, or if required by law. All retained personal information will remain subject to this privacy notice.
To dispose of personal information, we may anonymize it, delete it or take other appropriate steps. Information may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.
We understand that the security of your personal information is important. We provide administrative, technical, and physical security controls to protect your personal information as required by applicable law and in accordance to good industry practices, including encrypting your personal information at rest and in transit. However, despite our efforts, no security controls are 100% effective. SiteOwl cannot ensure or warrant the security of your personal information. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures for any of the SiteOwl Services.
The safety and security of your data also depends on you. Where you have chosen (or we have given you) a password for access to and use of your account, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask that you not to share your password with anyone.