- Last Updated: August 30, 2023
- Click here for archived versions
SiteOwl provides a SaaS-based platform and various mobile apps (as modified, collectively, the “Mobile Apps” and together with the SaaS-based platform, as modified, collectively, the “SiteOwl Platform”) for building and maintaining commercial security, audio and fire systems (as modified, the “Security Systems Services”) for its end-user customers and service provider customers (“Customers”, “you” or “your”) and Customer’s employees (“Employees”) and business, technical and other users, including their Authorized Service Providers and Authorized Clients, that have been authorized by Customer to access and use the Security Systems Services (together with the Employees, collectively, “Authorized Users”, “you” or “your”).
This policy applies to information we collect when you:
- Register to become a Customer.
- Register and create an account as an Authorized User.
- Access or use any of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services.
- Upload User Content (as defined below) through the Security Systems Services.
- Send an e-mail, text and other electronic messages through any of the SiteOwl Services to SiteOwl.
This policy also applies to information that we collect through services provided to us or to you by third-party companies, agents or contractors.
Minors under the Age of 18
None of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services are intended directly for minors under 18 years of age (or under the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence). No one under age 18 (or the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence) may provide any information on or through any of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on or through any of the SiteOwl Services or other SiteOwl Services or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or any screen name, username you may use or any pictures of you. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under 13 without the consent from a parent or legal guardian, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information We Collect and How We Collect It
We collect or may collect several types of information if you become a Customer, register as an Authorized User, or access and use any of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services, including information by which you may be personally identified:
- For Customers, name and email address, and at their option, cell and work phone numbers;
- For Authorized Users, name and email address, and at their option, cell and work phone numbers;
- When you upload any User Content;
- Device and internet information such as the hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, browser type and language information;
- Information that you voluntarily provide if you register, create accounts or fill in forms or applications on or through any of the SiteOwl Services;
- Details of activities that you carry out through any of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services; and/or
- Analytics information when you access or use any of the SiteOwl Services.
We may also collect information from and about you when you:
- Report a problem or concern with any of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services;
- Contact us (records and copies of your correspondence, including email address, or recordings of support calls for staff training and quality assurance purposes); and/or
- Carry out transactions through any of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through or use any of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services.
- From third parties, such as our business partners and other third parties that provide us or you with certain services.
Some of the information that we collect automatically may be statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties or you provide to us. This information helps us to improve the Security Systems Services and the other SiteOwl Services, and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including enabling us to:
- Better understand usage patterns.
- Provide technical support
- Store information about your preferences.
- Recognize you when you return to the SiteOwl Services.
Certain situations may also involve you calling us or our calling you. Please be aware that we may monitor, and in some cases, record such calls for staff training or quality assurance purposes.
You may now or in the future provide floor plans, types and locations of devices, photos of locations and other content posted (hereinafter, “posted”) on or through the Security Systems Services (collectively, “User Content”). The Customer will have sole control over the categories of users who will be able to access your User Content (e.g., specific employees or contractors, etc.). Your User Content is posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other Users of the Security Systems Services, with whom your User Content is shared. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Content will not be viewed, downloaded or shared by any persons authorized by the Customer.
We take every reasonable step to limit the type and volume of your personal information that we process to what is reasonably necessary in connection with the Security Systems Services and the other SiteOwl Services.
Consequences of not providing Personal Information
If you do not provide certain personal information identified in this policy, we may not be able to provide you access to or use of certain of the Security Systems Services or other SiteOwl Services or the support that we otherwise could if you do provide this personal information.
How We Use Your Information
We will only use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information, as described in this privacy notice:
- To provide the Security Systems Services and the other SiteOwl Services;
- To enable you to log into your account;
- To track your activities in connection with the Security Systems Services;
- To communicate with Customers or Authorized Users;
- To provide technical and other support to you;
- To provide you with notices about any of the SiteOwl Services, including any changes to the Security Systems Services or the other SiteOwl Services;
- To verify your identity and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To enhance the safety and security of all of the SiteOwl Services;
- To comply with a legal or regulatory obligation;
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any Terms or other agreements entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection;
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information; or
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Do Not Track Policy
We do not honor any web browser “Do Not Track” signals or other mechanisms that allow you to signal to operators of websites and web applications and services (including behavioral advertising services) that you do not wish such operators to track certain of your online activities over time and across different websites. At present, no universally accepted standards exist on how companies should respond to do-not-track signals. In the event a final universally accepted standard is established, we will assess and provide an appropriate response to these signals.
Third-party Responsibilities and Services
SiteOwl may use or partner with third-party companies, agents or contractors for various purposes in connection with our business and operations (e.g., storage of data and other information, CRM, ticketing support issues and the provision of services to you) (collectively, “Service Providers”). SiteOwl may share your information with these Service Providers, or they may otherwise have access to your information in the course of performing their responsibilities and providing services.
These Services Providers may have adopted their own privacy policies, which are not subject to control by SiteOwl. You should always review the policies of these Service Providers to make sure that you are comfortable with the ways in which they collect, use, maintain, protect and disclose your information. We do not list our current Service Providers because they change from time to time. If you would like the names of any of Service Providers, please email us at email@example.com.
Please be aware that cookies placed by third parties may continue to track your activities online even after you have stopped using any of the SiteOwl Services, and those third parties may not honor “Do Not Track” requests you have set using your web browser.
Storage and Transfer of Your Information
We may store information that we collect (personal or otherwise) ourselves or in databases and servers owned and maintained by us, our affiliates, agents or Service Providers. If you access or use any of the SiteOwl Services outside of the United States, information that we collect about you may be transferred to servers inside the United States and maintained in accordance with this policy. By allowing SiteOwl to collect information about you, you consent to such transfer and processing of such information without restriction. We may also store some information locally on your computer or other devices. For example, we may store information in a local cache so that you can open the Site and view content faster.
Although Customers and Authorized Users may access certain of the SiteOwl Services from anywhere in the world, keep in mind that no matter where you live or where you happen to use our services, you consent to our processing and transferring information in and to the United States and other countries whose data-protection and privacy laws may offer fewer protections than those in your home country.
Disclosure of Your Information
We will not sell your personal information. Notwithstanding the foregoing, disclosing your personal information in connection with a Change of Control (as defined below) shall not be considered a violation of this restriction.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- To Service Providers, contractors and other third parties to support and provide the Security Systems Services and other SiteOwl Services but only to the extent necessary for them to provide this support, the Security Systems Services and other SiteOwl Services.
- To a potential or actual buyer, assignee or other successor (including its related advisors and agents) in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of SiteOwl’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by SiteOwl about Customers or Authorized Users is among the assets that may be or are actually transferred (collectively, a “Change of Control”).
- To our affiliates and business partners.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To enforce or apply the applicable Terms, including for billing and collection purposes.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of SiteOwl, any Customers or Authorized Users or any other party.
Anonymized or Aggregated Information
Accessing and Correcting Your Personal information
You may change or correct or delete personal information that you have provided to us through your profile (if you have one) or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may need to verify your identity to make any changes.
If you delete your User Content from any of the Security Systems Services (including any User Content stored in the cloud), copies of your User Content may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied or stored by other Users of the Security Systems Services.
A Customer may remove access to the Security Systems Services and other SiteOwl Services for any Authorized User. This will prevent the Authorized User from accessing and using Customer’s information and other data.
Deactivating Your Account
Authorized Users can request that their accounts be made inactive. They cannot terminate their accounts.
Even after an Authorized User’s account has been made inactive, any information or User Content provided by, or collected from, such Authorized User, may still be available and accessible to the Customer and such Customer’s other Authorized Users.
How Long We Store Your Personal Information
SiteOwl retains personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purpose or as permitted or required by law, which may extend beyond the termination of our relationship with you.
To dispose of personal information, we may anonymize it, delete it or take other appropriate steps. Information may persist in copies made for backup and business continuity purposes for additional time.
We understand that the security of your personal information is important. We provide administrative, technical, and physical security controls to protect your personal information as required by applicable law and in accordance to good industry practices, including encrypting your personal information at rest and in transit. However, despite our efforts, no security controls are 100% effective. SiteOwl cannot ensure or warrant the security of your personal information. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures for any of the SiteOwl Services.
The safety and security of your data also depends on you. Where you have chosen (or we have given you) a password for access to and use of your account, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask that you not to share your password with anyone.